Me and my Peeps

Me and my Peeps

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Veggies are Good for Your Body!

There is a complete eye sore in my backyard.  About a third of it has a chain linked fence running across it, because the previous owners used it for a dog yard.  Well, we all know that my dogs have their own seat at the dinner table so that yard wasn't going to get much use.  Then it occurred to me that it would be a great place for a garden!  I want my kids and I to be healthy eaters and by-golly organic too!  I had some dear neighborhood friends help me get the seeds and plants and another friend who came over and tilled my garden area with a monster tiller (it would have killed me if I attempted to use it).  After the planting the waiting happened.  FINALLY some produce!  There is nothing better than being able to go out to your garden, pick some veggies, sip on a cold summer beer, and eat the produce for dinner.  My garden can be known to cause me some strife at times.  I was invaded by some bugs so I had to put seven dust on my plants of health, and now it is with a heavy heart that I will say my produce is not organic.  Next year I will make some changes to my garden.  I'm going to mix in some better soil since it seems to be super sandy.  I'm going to make it a little bigger too.  My new saying when it comes to gardening is "you grow some, you learn some".  Fresh veggies are comforting, and not always organic.
Summer is so special there is a beer made for it!


First cucumber and squash from the garden
First produce.  The can is there to compare
the size



This makes me feel happy

No comments:

Post a Comment