Me and my Peeps

Me and my Peeps

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reunited with my Old House

Isn't she lovely?

My parents brought me home from the hospital to this sweet house.  I knew no other home until I left for college, but it was still "home" even though I wasn't living there anymore.  The day came that my parents decided they didn't want to stay in the big house by themselves and they sold it.  I had to go clean out my room and things so that the new owners could invade (their stuff was all wrong for our house).  As I drove away I looked at it in my rear view mirror and cried.  I cried all the way back to Austin.  It had hit me that it wasn't mine anymore.  I couldn't smell that smell the old house had anymore.  I couldn't go in the back room and watch TV on the weekends when I had nothing else to do.  No more throwing my towels and clothes into the laundry room so that they could be washed and folded and placed on the stairway up to my room (wow, my mom really spoiled us).  Every time I drove through my hometown, I would make sure I drove past my old house.  The house wasn't what it should look like.  Why did they take the crape myrtles down?!  There is no way they love this house like me and my brothers did?!  As the house grew older and started looking sadder, my middle brother moved back to our hometown.  Luckily, the owner wanted to move to another town and asked if he was interested.  YES!  Now my brother and his family live in the most beautiful house in the world!  I envy my nieces, and nephew for getting to live in that house where I had so much fun.  The day I went inside the house for a visit the smell of the house hit me.  It still smells exactly the same!  Again, it made me tear up a little, but with joy this time.  It is amazing how much is still the same in that house.  Even the old window treatments are still there in the upstairs hallway....even the original carpet in the upstairs bathroom (with the old stains too...I'm sure that will change pretty soon).  It amazes me how a house can move a whole family the way this one did.  My brother and his family are living in my old house, and they love it as much as I do.....oh so comforting. This song goes with my experience, except she didn't have a brother she could trick into buying her old house.
The beautiful front door.  My mom wouldn't
let the boys play baseball in the front yard
because of that door.
Catie in my old play house.


Our heights are still on the pantry door.


No comments:

Post a Comment